First Time Watching a Hockey Game

King's University, Hockey, and Chinese Restaurant in Canada
King's University
We had another field trip! This time, we went to King’s University, which is a Catholic university located in London, Ontario. Different from the University of Toronto, it is a smaller university with smaller classes. There are many features about this school. For instance, the mindfulness room for meditation, the reading week, which students don’t have to go to school during the week twice a year in February and November, and a room for students to ask questions about their essays. What I like the most is their small classes because studying in small classes can actually make students learn with efficiency and be more productive in class. A small class can also make teacher-student relationship better because teachers can easily remember who they teach in class when teaching in smaller classes and know what is the best for each student. I also found out that they offer many kinds of scholarships. What makes me happy is that the art category offers the most scholarships for students. Fortunately, I like literature the most and it is classified as arts. I will be so happy if I have the opportunity to study in such a great environment and university.
            
Hockey & Chinese Restaurant
We don’t play ice hockey in Taiwan, and I’d never watched it before I came to Canada. On Saturday afternoon, my host grandparents took me to watch their cousin, Landon, play ice hockey. It occurred to me that it is actually a fast sport with fury in it. There are many collisions during the game. With the ball moving so fast, players should be skilled with quick reaction and maintain strong bodies to chase the puck, defense being hit by another player, and have the capability to make the puck into the net. I think Landon plays it so well, and he’s so brave because he’s not afraid of being hit by other players. I was amazed by their extraordinary skating skills because they can skate backwards, skate very fast, and skate without fear. My host grandma said they have been skating since they were two years old. No wonder they have competent skills for ice skating because practice makes perfect.
After watching ice skating, we went to a Chinese restaurant run by a Chinese lady whose sons are Chinese twin brothers, who are also my classmates! We ordered wonton soup, bean sprouts, stir fried beef, fried rice, and tofu. We enjoyed the food there. However, I’m surprised that most people here don’t like and have never heard of tofu, which is a common food made with soy bean in Taiwan. Another cool thing in this Chinese restaurant is that there are fortune cookies, which my English textbook has introduced before, and I’m surprised that they actually appear at Chinese restaurant in western areas. I think the only thing they miss is chopsticks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of School in Canada as an Exchange Student

Why I Stepped onto This Journey?

Remembrance Day in Canada